So it seems almost certain now that in addition to winning a majority in the House and turning over several governorships, the Democrats have also won a majority in the Senate. More specifically, there are 49 Democrats and 2 independents who’ve said they’d vote with Democrats.
Maybe now we can see some change, but with a Republican President I don’t know how much Dems can possibly push their agenda. I just hope more people continue to see what a poor president George W. Bush is and his approval ratings continue to drop.
Some major issues needing attention that this administration and a Republican Congress has caused, made worse, or ignored:
- Serious threat to civil liberties through the USA Patriot Act
- Universal healthcare (Even my small native country, Taiwan, has universal healthcare – how is it that the richest nation in the world does not?)
- Education (No Child Left Behind is a backwards system)
- Iraq (How do we leave without the country completely unraveling? Should we just cut our losses and say screw it?)
- THE BUDGET (Bush inherited the largest surplus in US history and turned it into the largest deficit in US history)
Rumsfeld resigning is just icing on the cake :-).